School of the Ozarks is a Christian liberal-expressions school, with its grounds at Point Lookout near Branson and Hollister, Missouri, United States. It is 40 miles (60 km) south of Springfield on a 1,000-section of land (1.6 sq mi; 404.7 ha) grounds, overlooking Lake Taneycomo. The school has an enlistment of 1,425, an understudy to-personnel proportion of around 16:1, more than 30 scholastic majors, and degrees in Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science. It is associated with the Presbyterian Church (USA).
The school charges no educational cost for full-time understudies due to its student work program and gifts. The program expects understudies to work 15 hours every week at an on-grounds work station and two 40-hour work a long time amid breaks. A mid year work program is accessible to cover food and lodging costs.The school alludes to itself as “Diligent Work U.” and places accentuation in “character” instruction
The school was first proposed in 1901 as a high school by James Forsythe, minister of the Forsyth, Missouri PresbyterianChurch. Forsythe was from the St. Louis, Missouri area.
Forsythe was said to have been motivated to make the proposition in the wake of experiencing a kid on a squirrel chase who revealed to him that his folks couldn’t stand to send him to the nearest secondary school 40 miles (60 km) away in Springfield, Missouri.
The School of the Ozarks opened on September 11, 1907, in a 75-by-50-foot (23-by-15-meter) working on Mount Huggins (named for siblings Louis and William Huggins from St. Joseph, Missouri who were among the originators of Nabisco and had given cash for the school). In its first term it had enlistment of 180 with 36 boarders.
From the begin, the school embraced its routine with regards to having its understudies work as opposed to paying educational cost.
The school at that point moved more remote up the White River at Point Lookout, Missouri on a 16-section of land (6.47 ha) grounds. The focal working of the grounds was the Maine Hunting and Fishing Club building which had been transported to the site by sportsmen from the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fairwhere it been the State of Maine exhibit. It was renamed the Dobyns Building out of appreciation for W. R. Dobyns, leader of the trustees at the time. The building consumed on February 1, 1930.
In the 1920s what might progress toward becoming the Ralph Foster Museum depicting Ozark legacy had its begin in the cellar of the young men’s quarters: Abernathy Hall.
In 1934 the Fruitcake and Jelly Kitchen opened to offer work for understudies. It is presently one of 90 work stations. In excess of 100 nutty delights are currently heated daily.
In the 1950s under Robert M. Great and M. Graham Clark the school significantly changed.
The grounds extended to 1,400 sections of land (567 ha), the school’s Gothic house of prayer was based on the area of the first Dobyns Building and a healing facility was included.
In 1956, with secondary schools ending up progressively accessible in the region, the school moved toward becoming a junior school.
The Museum of the Ozarks assumed control over the whole Abernathy Building and was renamed the Good Museum for president Good. It was later renamed for blue grass music pioneer Ralph D. Encourage, who gave cash and shows for it. The gallery extended in 1969, 1977 and 1991. Among the displays is an original George Barris1921 modified Oldsmobile Beverly Hillbillies truck given by arrangement creator Paul Henning who was propelled to do the show after a Boy Scout outdoors trip in the Ozarks. The historical center likewise contains a vast gun show including a rifle having a place to Pancho Villa.
1960s to present
In 1965 it turned into a four-year college.
In 1973 The Wall Street Journal described School of the Ozarks as “Diligent Work U.” The name has stuck as school maxim and the school has trademarked it.
In 1990 it was renamed the College of the Ozarks.
In the 2003– 2004 semesters an educator uncovered that one of the school’s dignitaries, Larry Cockrum, had gotten his Ph.D. from Crescent City Christian College, a fake school (“confirmation process”) come up short on a mentor’s basement. The educator who exposed this data was suspended for the 2004 semester, and his agreement was not to be recharged for the fall semester. The school’s leader, Jerry C. Davis, protected the senior member with the deceitful degree, while ending the professor. Cockrum has been delegated to another situation as leader of The University of the Cumberlands.
Since 1906, there have been 14 presidents, 2 acting presidents and one chancellor.
1906 – A. Y. Beatie
1907 – George Gordon Robertson
1907– 10 – W. I. Utterback
1910 – F. O. Hellier
1911– 13 – George K. Knepper
1913– 15 – William L. Doorman
1915– 16 – John E. Crockett
1916– 20 – George L. Washburn
1920– 21 – Thomas M. Barbee
1921– 52 – R. M. Great
1952– 75 – M. Graham Clark
1975– 81 – Howell W. Keeter, Chancellor
1981– 82 – James I. Spainhower
1982– 83 – Howell W. Keeter, Interim
1983– 87 – Stephen G. Jennings
1987– 88 – William D. Todd, Interim
1988– – present – Jerry C. Davis
The College of the Ozarks groups are known as the Bobcats. The school is an individual from the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and contends as an independent. Before July 2015, the school contended in the Midlands Collegiate Athletic Conference (MCAC). Men’s games incorporate baseball, b-ball and crosscountry; while ladies’ games incorporate b-ball, volleyball and crosscountry.
The 2005-06 men’s b-ball group won the NAIA Division II national title, while the Lady Cats were the sprinter up. The men’s group was second in the ball competition in 2000 and 2009. From 2000-2017, Keeter Gymnasium was been host to the NAIA Division II Basketball Championship games. In 2014, Ozarks stood out as truly newsworthy by overcoming second positioned College of Idaho in the national tournament.
In the wake of the 2016– 2017 national song of praise protests at athletic occasions in the United States, the school declared that they would refuse to play any group whose players took a knee in indistinguishable way from the protests. In reaction, the NAIA chose to move its Division II men’s ball champion game away from College of the Ozarks; the title amusement had been held there since 2000. In September 2018, the leader of the school discharged an announcement clarifying that the school would never again utilize regalia made by Nike: “If Nike is embarrassed about America, we are embarrassed about them.”
Williams Memorial Chapel
The Keeter Center
The Ralph Foster Museum
Nutty surprise and Jelly Kitchen
The Dairy and Tractor Museum
Lyons Memorial Library
Howell W. Keeter Gymnasium
91.7 FM KCOZ Radio Station
Announced in the U.S. News and World Report, “Best College” area yearly since 1989; positioned 29 among Comprehensive Colleges-Bachelor’s (Midwest) for 2007
Templeton Honor Roll, “Character Building College”
Cash Magazine’s, “Best Buy College Guide”
Barron’s, “300 Best Buys in Higher Education”
Princeton Review, “The Best 331 Colleges”
Princeton Review, “LGBTQ Unfriendly”
Lennie Aleshire, vaudeville star
Terrence R. Dake, Marine general
April Scott, performing artist
Tony Tost, essayist